Through the mind of a child

With the hustle and bustle of going back to school, summer winding down and the crisp smell of autumn in the air, the daily chores of my children have been re-birthed. (There is no real schedule in summer). Yes, they have chores and yes, I make them clean. Horrible? No! I refuse to visit their messy homes when they grow up and I shant hear the moaning of their spouses that they never were taught to keep house!
Therefore, on Tuesday of last week it begin! The first few days went without much complaint and we were getting along so well. Friday came, and well, that was altogether a different story. In the rush to get outdoors and play, they (not all) quickly did their chores. Before they were able to go outside, I made an assessment on the presumed completion of their task. Alas, things were not as they should be and it took a few more rounds to get them done correctly.
During this time, Ashley was twittering around, cleaning things at random but never really focusing on her assigned chores. I mentioned this to her and she just grinned at me stating, "I just love to clean." As happy as I am to hear this, I also noticed she was leaving items like her shoes, backpack, build-a-bears (and all their clothes), chalk, eraser, and various pieces of paper all over the front room. So I told her to please clean up her things and then she can help me with my chores if she likes. She quickly runs around picking up things here and there, then asks, "Is there anything else?" I said, "Look around carefully, do you see anything?" "No, she said, I don't see anyone else." "Anyone?" I asked, "You mean anything, unless you carry people around." She giggles and says, "No, but I carry Jesus in my heart!" Yes, Ashley, you do, and that is what is most important.

Comments

Ruby said…
GOOD FOR YOU, Kim!! The chore idea has yet to grow on Julian... HA!! We are still in the process of getting used to being back in school and 'HOMEWORK'! Did I say, "shhhhhhh, not so loud, homework?" Yes, I did and Julian just told me this morning on the way to school; "Mommy, third grade is so hard *sigh*". Poor little man, the life a third grader.
And then for me to push chores TOO!?!
What a 'chore' it has been, lol. But I will have to get creative as you did Kim and go from there.
A day at a time :)we will work at it.
Kim said…
lol, he sounds like a little drama king! I love it!
I feel with anything, chores, homework, lessons, etc. it's all in the approach. Even adults would rather have fun, why can't we make it fun for them and to learn to boot!

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!