R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

"Just a little bit"...NO! A lot of it! That is what it takes, according to recent studies, for a marriage to be successful. So, are the researchers just figuring this out? Hmmm...I believe if they would read their BIBLE, they would have discovered this a LOOONNNGGG time ago!

No, I'm not on a rampage, and I have great respect for research. But I am currently working on a paper for my Speech/Communication class regarding "Divorce in America." And I tell ya, it's depressing! Honestly, divorce is not something I think about. I remember being told as a newlywed not to ever mention the "D" word. So, when working on this assignment it almost made me feel as if I was doing something wrong. Crazy, I know! But that was how I felt.

Divorce is not a new thing. In fact, it has been going on for years. However, what surprised me was the fact that researchers, therapists and counselors have decided that RESPECT is the most important factor in a marriage. Respect for your spouse will outlive the money woes and children concerns.

The reason this surprised me was not because it was a new idea, but rather a very old idea, given to us by God. Leviticus 19: 18 tells us to, "...love thy neighbor as thyself..." and in Matthew 7:12 we read, Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Your spouse is your neighbor!

Now, as for my kids, I have to reiterate to them that this scripture does not mean, if someone treats you terrible then that must be the way in which they wish to be treated. We must treat others the way we want them to treat us. With respect. As my mother would say, respect is earned. You give it, you receive it. 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!