Love is...saying you're sorry

Sometimes I feel like an awesome mother. I'm taking life by the reigns and driving my wild horses. And I'm winning. Other times, well, I don't feel so awesome. I wonder where I've gone wrong. This very morning was one of those moments.

I love and enjoy every stage of development; the infant, the toddler, the child and now the pre-teen. However, I do not always know how to respond. Yes, I read my bible for direction, I pray, I seek godly counsel and yet, there are still moments where I feel like things are amiss. Now, I do not tell my kids this, I let them believe I've got it under control. But folks, I'll be transparent, I do not always have it "under control."

Like every morning in my house, we are up early. My kids have to be in class by 8 am. Well, this past week, one of my children had to be to school at 7:30 because they missed a test. Unfortunately, a few of the days they were too late, and one of the days the teacher had a meeting we didn't know about. So finally, this morning, we made it! Prior to getting to the school, however, an enormous argument took place. This *child* decided to argue with EVERYTHING I said. Whether it was true or not, they argued. If I said the sky was gray, they would argue that there was a patch of blue. SIGH! And being in an awful hurry to get out the door, I let their comments get the best of me. My response was not horrible but I could have been more kind and had a more thoughtful approach. This only catapulted the argument to the point where *child* was not going to get out of the car at school.

They did finally get out, but this whole scene made me feel worse. So, I went and parked the car, got the others to their classes and marched right up to this said child's class, hugged them and told them sorry. Thankfully, I have taught them well, because they responded with an apology. It was only *child* and teacher in the class but I wouldn't have cared if the class was full.

Now you are probably thinking, why in the world did you apologize? Because I am the adult and the example. I love my child and want to teach them how to say "I'm sorry" even when they are not the only one at fault. They will have a consequence but now they will see their inappropriate actions and behaviors through eyes of forgiveness instead of anger. The wall they built up in those moments of anger are down, and we can get to the heart of the matter. I will never be too old or stubborn to say "I'm sorry" because that is what love does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!