The Power of a Spoken Word

Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. Proverbs 18:21

Imagine my surprise when I got to the third chapter of my speech/communication textbook and this verse was the opening for the chapter. Very interesting! Then, at church last night Bro. Stan Gleason (who Bro. Mallory convinced to come back) used this same verse as part of his message. Okay, Lord, I think I am supposed to be getting something here!
We could read the first part of this verse, stop and have a full blown sermon. What comes out of your mouth can either create or destroy. We have that much power in a spoken word. Spoken words cannot be returned to their origin. In other terms, you can't put words back in your mouth once they leave. This is why it is so important to choose your words carefully. 
However, the second part of the verse is just as important. You will reap the harvest of the words you speak. If you choose good words, you will reap good fruit. On the contrary, negative words will produce bad fruit. 
As this verse was swirling in my head the better part of yesterday and into last night, I realized how essential it is for me to speak out what I have faith for God to do in my life and in the lives of my children. If I want my children to be great in the kingdom, I must speak greatness into them. Telling them they are powerful through Jesus Christ, they are a light to the world, they will do all things through Jesus Christ are just a few of the many things I can speak into them. As they grow and their faith develops, they will produce the good fruit of the seeds that were spoken into them. 
As you go about your day speak words of life to yourself and others. Watch and be amazed at what will grow! 
(Yahoo pics)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!