Home is Where Your Heart Is!

Please forgive my unfaithfulness to my blog this past week. I have tried to be diligent in updating but this last week seemed to run away from me. Between my family, my school work, preparing for the Christmas musical and just simply life, we took a weekend trip to my parents.

The reason for this spontaneous adventure is due to the fact that they are moving from this dear, old house. I will not get emotional but I do want to say a few things regarding this house:



Yes, it is a restored barn! This little (3500 sq.ft) house, or rather "Grammy's Barnhouse", as Levi so sweetly termed it at 2 years old, has been the center of many, many family affairs for about 10 years. Thanksgiving after Thanksgiving, Christmas after Christmas, any holiday we family members could think of as an excuse to escape away to the barn in the woods! Some family members even lived there for a time. Not only family, but my parents' former Pastor, wife and family stayed there for a time. And oh what a time it was! The memories packed into this house are endless. But I will restrain myself because I said I would not get emotional! 

As for my little family, it is a bittersweet occasion. We are happy that my parents are moving into a house that is complete (as in no construction or destruction needs to happen) and less stressful for them. This "barnhouse" has literally been in construction (and often destruction) mode ever since they moved in. It seemed like as soon as one wave of construction ended, another one began. The changes that were made were all so lovely but nothing ever got to the finished point. Not that this made a difference to any of us, we still gathered and partied till our little hearts were content.

My children are having the hardest time with this move, though. Levi was 2 years old and Myles was 8 months old when my parents moved into this house. So for them, it is the only house they really remember. It is also the house where they met their "Aunt Dani" (their Unki's wife) for the first time, held their little cousin Jacob for the first time, learned what it felt like for a dear pet to die, played outside and got dirty filthy, and just perfecting the art of being a kid!


As family and friends came through, the unfinished wall in the entry became a "signature wall." I must say that I wish I could take this wall with me. All the grandchildren have been measured on this wall, there are funny family jokes written on this wall, and each person that wrote on this wall had a part in creating the memories in this house.



So I will end on a good note! The new house will provide as much laughter, love and memories as the old house! Why, you ask? Because we still have family and friends to fill the new house. There are more Thanksgivings, Christmases, Fourth of July celebrations, weddings, babies born (not from me, Danielle-hint-hint), graduations, and, well, I could go on! This is not the end, only a new chapter in our family book.


Good-bye "Grammy's Barnhouse", we will always cherish you and the sweet, precious memories we have with you! 

Comments

Fox & Willow said…
What a sweet post! My mom and I were talking about all of the memories this house holds, we had some great holidays and get togethers there. And of course, it was so big everyone basically had their own room. :) by the way, I'm glad you took a picture of the signature wall, that's priceless! :) Love you!
Unknown said…
Thank you, Kim, for the photos and memories. Sniff, sniff--seriously.
Kim said…
Thank you! Stacie, I really would love to take that wall with me! You think they'd miss it? lol!
Aunt Paula, is that you? Time for new memories!!!
Unknown said…
Yes,it's me. And yes, you're right.
Aunt Paula said…
And now I get how this comment thing works! :-)
Kim said…
Lol! I'm glad you figured it out!

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!