Day #10 "Self-Portrait" and *Bonus* Biztown Field Trip!


OK, so I seriously dislike self-portraits. I usually get a great double-chinned look or up-the-nose shot, which is not impressive at all! So, fortunately for you, I didn't do a self-portrait.

We had a field trip today (Myles and I) to a super duper, cool place called, "Biztown". The kids actually "run" the businesses, make money, write checks, conduct interviews, work together as a team and so many more things. It was awesome. I helped at BZTV, the T.V. station. I didn't choose my job, it was given to me. Really, the volunteers were only there to observe and offer support or redirection if needed. (Oh, I did help with the recording equipment). Otherwise, the kids did all the work. They had a business plan, had to create a loan amount and was supposed to create enough revenue in the day to repay the loan. Each child received two checks in the day, had a checkbook, had to make a deposit and a withdrawal. Every business had bills and had to send bills. It was very realistic!

Myles was the CEO of Northwest Sports and LOVED every minute of it. In fact, he was disappointed when the day was over. He was in charge of three employees, had to oversee all business transactions, covered employee breaks, and delivered and received payments from other businesses. His business, at the end of the day, repaid their loan and made a profit! Whoo Hoo!!! He also gave a speech at the opening town hall meeting, first thing in the morning. I was so proud of him, he worked very hard and had a great time. Here are some pictures from today:

My friend, Nicole and I (here's my unself-portrait)
Myles' morning business speech  





Town Hall Meeting 
Myles at work, getting things organized to sell
More of Biztown
Getting some direction 
See BZTV? Yep, that's where I was most of the day 
It was a really cool day! So glad we had the opportunity to go! The kids were having fun and learning at the same time. What a great combination!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!