Red Letter Days

One of my very favorite things to do at the start of the year (or school year), is to fill in my calendar with all the significant dates. All the birthdays, anniversaries, special events, appointments, LAST DAY OF SCHOOL, lessons, etc. This often takes me a day or so because inevitably, I get interrupted a few, constantly. Then after I finally get it all filled in, I still end up filling in new things throughout the year. Or I ended up crossing things out. So by December, my calendar usually looks like a kindergartener's drawing board with lines, dots and scribbles going all directions. Oh but I love it, the planning, the anticipation and the daily grind of a schedule. Yes, it is all very motivating to me!

As I was writing in the calendar, I realized how many fun, exciting days are ahead. This made me think about what is referred to as Red-Letter Days. Red-letter days originated on the Medieval church calendars. They were written in red as a way to signify it was a day of importance, such as a holy day. Often times, festivities ensued as a way to celebrate such a day. Many of our calendars indicate holidays in red as well. 

Now you are probably wondering why I have said all this. Well, as a Christian, we should have many red-letter days. In fact, everyday should be significant and worth celebrating. So this year, and years to come, I want to make everyday a red-letter day. That doesn't mean I have to party every day or do something extraordinary but I will celebrate Christ and His Spirit living within. This makes each day a red-letter day! 

So, I ask, will you join me? What makes your day a red-letter day? For today, I am celebrating sunshine and no rain! Those of you who know anything about Portland, that's huge! We have some clouds but through those clouds I see blue skies and that makes me rejoice!

See the blue?

Taken this morning off my deck

Comments

Anonymous said…
I do the same with my calendar every year...but I do so when I buy it!!

Lauren Bertram
Kim said…
When do you buy your calendar, at the end or beginning of the year? Do you end up adding or crossing out a bunch of things? lol...I know I do!

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!