*WARNING* If you have a weak stomach, these pics may bother you...

This term has been a bit stressful for me. I am taking an anatomy and physiology class (not 101 either), an algebra class and an anthropology class. Next term, my last term at the community college level (yay!), I will take my last algebra class, sociology, cultural anthropology and do an internship under a speech pathologist at my kids' school. I am totally excited yet a wee bit nervous. It is more than a full load, but I am determined to graduate. I just received my letter of acceptance from Liberty University, into their Bachelor's of Science program, yesterday. So this is it, time to move on :). But for now, this is where I am in my life: figuring out the quadratic formula, imaginary numbers, deciding whether we became bipedal due to heat stress or because we needed to reach into the trees for our food (trust me, I do not ascribe to this theory), and identifying the parts of the brain while examining sheep brains. Yes, very exciting indeed!
Last night, Sis Jenny Mallory and I had the distinct opportunity to examine these brains. Well, I did most of the examining while she observed. To me, it is so fascinating except for the smell of the formaldehyde. Yuck! Just can't bring myself to enjoy that smell. Here are a couple pics: 


 We have to look at this brain and
identify ALL of the parts
And here is a numbered model in which we study from:
And the other side:
Pretty cool, huh?

This class has been pretty amazing with all that I have learned about our bodies. It also has been one of my most difficult classes. I can tell you all about the cellular structure of each organelle, the integumentary system, skeletal system, muscular system, body tissues, chemistry of the body, how to identify the body in the appropriate anatomical terms, and now we are moving into the nervous system and all our special senses. Yes, I had to memorize the bones from both the appendicular skeleton and axial skeleton (these are just how the entire skeleton is divided.). We just finished up the muscular system and of course, we had to memorize the muscles as well. Thankfully, not every single one! I know one muscle in my body that has been overworked!



Comments

Ruth said…
Kim,
I'm so proud of you.
Lisa
Lisa said…
I'm so proud of you Kim. Keep up the hard work. You're going to make a great speech pathologist.
Lisa C.
Kim said…
Aw thank you! Is this my dear, former lead Sunday school teacher, who I learned so much from?? I miss you!

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Real World!

An anniversary, a birthday and a birth defect??

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig!!!